Saturday, November 22, 2008

ADHD/ADD...Now What?

In my own experience I have spent time with Dr Melmed at the Melmed Center in Scottsdale. For those of you unfamiliar, it is a top facility in the Valley that helps children with ADHD/ADD, Autism and other challenges they might have. They run a series of test on your child to diagnose what will help your child the best. We had characteristics of ADHD/ADD. ADHD/ADD...Now what? Do you try the meds they will offer you or is their another option? I am trying to live life naturally so I asked for other options. Dr. Melmed prescribed me some great alternative suggestions.
  • Omega 3 Fats DHA 150/EPA 150
  • Multi minerals Calcium 500/Magnesium 250/Zinc 12
  • Protein 5 ounces in the morning for breakfast

So I had to figure out the best way to get this in the body each day. Some of things I tryed didn't work so well and I am continuing to try and get it right. We needed just the right amount of the above and I was having a hard time finding it in gummy vitamins from Costco (plus those have a lot of sugar). The first way to get these in the body is nutrition. If we choose foods to eat with the above in them that is a great start. Well I know my kids don't love salmon enough to eat it everyday. I have found they will eat children's chewable Fish Oils though. I bought Carlson Chewable DHA from Sprouts. They are orange flavored and all of my kids eat them just find. Another great source is Metagenics but I order through my Chiropractor. I am still working on the right formula for the Multi minerals. We are using children's chewable multivitamins now. But I am going to switch to a whole food phytoplankton drink. It has way more in it than any children's multivitamin. It's called Frequensea and I am really excited about trying it. I'll let you know how it goes. I will continue to strive to do what I believe the best options are for ADHD/ADD.

No comments: